The Bug Theater was originally built as a nickelodeon movie house in 1912. Throughout the century it has also been called The World Theatre, The Navajo, and The Avalon. At some point the neighborhood children nicknamed it “The Bug House,” and this is the name that stuck. In 1994 it was incorporated as a federal 501(c)(3) as “Bug Performance and Media Art Center.” In 1998 a resident theatre company was introduced to the space. This was followed by the introduction of a small staff in 1999, and the combined efforts of the award-winning Bug Theatre Company and the dedicated administrative staff succeeded in transforming it into the viable artistic entity it is today.
The Bug Theater has been our Colorado home since 2005.